Friday, April 07, 2006

Run, Toto, run!

Man, I hate this. I just turned on CNN just to mindlessly check out the latest news while I sip my coffee and I see the CNN LIVE weatherman excitedly reaching all about a map of the Southeastern United States. There are large spots of crimson red on this map and he’s talking about violent storms and tornado outbreaks all over the area. I look a bit more closely, unmute the sound and realize that the area that he is referring to is my hometown, Bowling Green, KY. In fact, he says, tornadoes and severe storms are popping out all over that area from BG to Nashville ( where my brother David and his family live and where I will be traveling to on Tuesday the 11 for an exhibit of my work). Needless to say, this is very disconcerting news. He just described it as an “explosion” of violent storm activity.

I jut phoned my sister’s office in BG and there was no answer. So, I try her cell phone and she answers from the basement of the building where she works. She said that she was fine, but that they were moved there for safety. Now they are announcing that anyone in Nashville or the surrounding areas should take shelter immediately. That’s where my brother, his wife and daughter is. Ugh. I don’t like this at all.
This reminds me too much of this event, which I lived through, and remember vividly...
http://www.april31974.com/

1 comment:

Lori-Lyn said...

I hope all is well with your family.
Those 74 tornadoes changed my world forever. Looking at that link made my heart flutter. I'm so glad you posted it, though. In a strange way, those storms formed a great deal of who I am.