Wednesday, May 11, 2005

You Can't Escape The Mark Of Satan's Claw!

Aaaaiiieeee!!!!
Remember that word? If you read horror comics like I did as a child, you saw that often. It was usually the last word that flew out of the mouths of the unfortunate victims of heap big trouble in the horror comics.

For example (and these are some that I actually remember), it was the last word of the sinister clown seconds before his hideous clown head was ripped from his clown body by the ultra-massive gears of a giant clock a la London’s Big Ben (he had been thrown into the gears by the undead body of his wife, a one time circus trapeze star whom he “accidentally” forgot to swing the correct swing to in their act without a net). She of course, rose from the dead with noting but vengeance on her lips - she was VERY pissed off.

They were also the traveling salesman’s last words when he awoke in the middle of the night to find the demon possessed ax wielding farmer’s daughter that he had deflowered early in the evening.
As well as the last words of the career focused scientist hell bent on creating the missing link…..I could go on and on.


Truth is, the clown story scared the crap out of me and I would wake up screaming with terrible nightmares. My mother, from whom I had carefully hidden my reading material, was not too pleased when I informed her of the fodder of my nightmares. Of course, I had to spill the beans, because when she sweetly asked me what my dream was about and I blurted out still in a state of shock that it was about a “sinister clown seconds before his hideous clown head was ripped from his clown body by the ultra-massive gears of a giant clock a la London’s Big Ben”. This, she instinctively knew, was far fetched even for a 6 year old artistic child given to flights of fancy. SO, out the comic books went. I wish I still had them as they seem to be quite collectable.

While I’m still on the subject of clowns ( which - probably due to my childhood reading pasttime - I still loathe, fear and despise to this day). I did happen to run across a very interesting clown photo online…

This was labeled simply “Buddy. 1970”

Hmmm - not too shabby for a disturbing clown eh? Even if his name is “Buddy” and even with the long flowing stringy blue hair, unsettling oversized ruby red lips, and hyper -disturbing empty black voids where his eyes should be. This is the type of fella that operates the ride at your own risk “Mighty Mouse” at the state fair when it comes to town every summer.

Except this guy usually has a cig hanging from his mouth and a big oversized rainbow colored comb in his back pocket with which to “part and feather back” his turquoise crepe paper hair.

No comments: