Thursday, July 13, 2006

In Memoriam...


Red Buttons
Feb. 5, 1919 - July 13, 2006

It certainly seems that I have been posting several of these recently, but – someone once told me that famous people die in groups of three usually. Whether or not that is true, I can’t say, but this is the third one in this week that I am aware of.
I first become aware of Red Buttons as a child when I first saw The Poseidon Adventure on television.



He was the dimuntive kind-hearted fellow who falls in love with the obnoxious Nonnie ( portrayed by Carol Lynley).



Her character was the lead singer of the “rock” group on the boat scheduled to entertain for New Year’s Eve. She spends the majority of the film in some silly shock state. I read somewhere once that shortly after filming began they quickly learned that they despised each other. Again, may or may not be true.

As I grew older, I became more aware of Red Button’s other career achievements and saw several of his other films. He won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor in 1957 fro the film Sayonara with Marlon Brando. On that note, I say Rest in Peace Red.



In Memoriam...
Red Buttons
Feb. 5, 1919 - July 13, 2006

No comments: