Sunday, July 09, 2006

Croquet anyone?

It’s early Sunday evening, July 9th, 2006. Late yesterday afternoon, George and I hit the road for Falls Church, Virginia for the annual Croquet Tournament hosted by our wonderful friends Lynn and Dick.


( Dick is taking the picture here and Shari had yet to arrive. Though I may look like a pink and yellow giant standing there on the left - the sad fact is that the other people in this photo are all under 4 feet tall. I think the PC term is "little people" )

There’s a bit of confusion as to how long we’ve been getting together for the croquet gathering but I'll guess it to be anywhere from between 7 to 10 years. While the group sometimes varies from year to year with the addition of one or two people that will appear for the game like special guest stars on a television program, there is a core group of players who play each year. George and I belong to that core group. In fact, I believe that we have been to every croquet meet since the inception.


( Hmm... though you wouldn't be able to tell from this photo, I don't think picking up your ball and moving it about the field is legal. )


( Here I am standing next to Shari. Shari just observed the game this year, though I tried to get her to take on the role of referee – she would have no part of it. But I can’t blame her, who would want to serve as referee over a group of people with mallets in one hand and cocktails in the other? I appear to be licking my lips in this image. Well, I am standing over the crab dip - wavering a mallet too I might add. No one can come between me and crab dip I’m afraid. )

Overall, it’s just an excuse for a group of friends who have been part of each other’s lives for years to get together, laugh, drink too much, eat great food and play a silly game (with often very lax self-made rules) in the beautifully landscaped backyard of our friends Lynn and Dick. It’s a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon and evening.

George won this year for the first time!



The winner takes home a bottle of champagne which is always fun.



Sadly, I have yet to win, but a boy can dream can't he?

No comments: