Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Hey baby - it's the Fourth Of July...

It’s the Fourth of July, 2006. I’ve been up since about 5:45 AM, but that seems to be the norm for me. It’s a very humid day here in Southern New Jersey. I’ve decided to it on the front porch swing and watch the town slowly wake up while I type this entry into my blog.



There’s a certain quality of the morning in summer that I am particularly fond of. Especially on days like this before the sun bakes them into something unbearable. I can hear what sound like at least 30 different birds singing from every direction. And even though the air is heavy and wet, there is a slight breeze that floats by occasionally which quietly rustles the petunias in my planters and the stiff miniature American flags that a local realtor stuck in everyone’s front yard at some point during the afternoon yesterday. Though I am not fond of the current administration by any stretch of the imagination, there was something charming about discovering the tiny flag stuck in my front yard when I pulled up yesterday that made me wistful for a moment.

Besides, it’s not this country that I am having problems with; it’s the incompetent and selfish way it’s being run. In fact, it makes me so upset and angry that when I dwell on the issues, I become physically affected. My heart rate goes up, my temples start to pulse, and I actually feel physically angry. I just don’t understand how anyone can look around and not see with their own eyes what damage Bush and his armies of buffoons have done to this wonderful country! To deny this is the ultimate form of the Emperor’s new clothes.
I’ve had discussions with like-minded friends about this. The ultimate conclusion that I can make right now is that, at least for myself, I can do only these things.
1: Support the Democratic Party and like-minded liberal causes as much as I can financially.
2: Write letters, emails, and make phone calls
3: VOTE VOTE VOTE

See, I started this entry as a reminsence on the Fourth of July and I ended up on my soapbox. I’m going to get back in the spirit of things as my wonderful friend Suzette is here along with George and we are going to have a great Fourth – come hell or highwater or the sever thunderstorms that they’re calling for.

No comments: