Monday, April 28, 2008

Monday, Monday

Somehow, I managed to let my blog slip by for the last four days. Obviously, I've had other issues to focus my attention on that demanded more attention. I've been quite busy working on PR material for a new line of imagery that I've been working on. I have a close friend who had been helping me with branding ideas. I'll post more information about the development of it all here after I copyright any involved material. I have learned the hard way on the importance of copyright.

In fact, I was scheduled today to meet with an attorney in NYC who was interested in performing some pro-bono work on my behalf regarding a copyright infringement suit that I was about to file against a well established company in Manhattan. It came to my knowledge that they purchased a print of my work a while back. They then decided to have that work photographed and then skin all of their delivery vans with the image as well as use it on their website as a backdrop to promote their products. Needless to say really, I was never contacted about such and my name appeared nowhere in connection with their lame-brained marketing idea.

I discovered yesterday afternoon however from a close friend who also happens to be my attorney that their attorney contacted her and informed her that they were indeed removing my image from their vans and the website.

I checked the website and it is indeed gone, as for the vans, well, at this point I can only take their word for it. But I will definitely check that out as well.

So, based upon this news, I will cancel my meeting in NYC today, or reschedule it, if I discover that the company has not followed through totally with their promise. Frankly, I don't want or need to dedicate my energy to that when there is so many other things for me to do. However, if you happen to see a delivery van in NYC with this image plastered on the side...



Please feel free to let me know. You know, this isn't the first time I've had to take folks on legally for using my work improperly. Perhaps one day I'll blog about the time I discovered that a well established luxury condo building in the financial district of Manhattan was using 3 of my works to promote their condos - though, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to speak of that case or not as it was resolved.

Lesson. If you are thinking about using my work without my permission, especially for your own profit, chances are, I WILL find out about it - and I WILL do something about it.

Now, with that said - I finished Tolle's latest book ( see previous post). I must admit, I enjoyed it thoroughly. Initially, I was a bit unsure ( the book clearly isn't for everyone, or perhaps I should say that not everyone is ready for the book - of course, you would have to read it to know what I'm referring to) but the more I read the more I found myself taken with the message.

There is much truth about the book to the following quote from a New York Times article entitled The Wisdom of the Ages, for Now Anyway - “He essentially taken some of the wisdom of the ages and said, ‘Let me make this easier for you,’ ” said Vivien L. Jennings, a major independent bookseller in Fairway, Kan. “And you don’t have to read 20 books to get this wisdom. I’ll give it to you in a $14 paperback.”

The way he writes his message is very compelling and it rings truthful for me. And frankly, I listen much more closely when something rings truthful then when it does not. Finally, after I read the book, I felt glad that I did. For myself, that's the real litmus test.

No comments: