Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Happy Anniversary...

Today marks the 3 year anniversary of this blog. There really isn't much more to say about that then that is there? I'm not going to spend any time here going over the experiences of the last three years because if you are really interested, you can read about them yourself by visiting the archive section in the lower right hand area of this page.

Last night, while looking for a film to stream on my television via my laptop via Netflix.com, (I gave comcast cable the boot last week and feel ever so free) I came across a film entitled "Pick Up On South Street". I was surprised that I had not seen it before, though it did sound vaguely familiar. In any case, it ended up being one of the best, if not the best, film-noir works that I have ever had the pleasure to watch and I highly recommend it if you are a fan of noir film.

You can read a great review and synopsis of the film here. It stars Jean Peters ( stunning as a street smart, sassy yet big hearted, slightly slutty siren), Richard Widmark, and Thelma Ritter and Richard Kiley. The film is truly masterful with packed with so many perfect scenes, performances, innuendo and more that it truly beams as a perfect example of the best of film noir. The scene between Ritter and Kiley (described on wikipedia.com as "a touching and believable performance in her climactic scene opposite a communist spy who has come to kill her: she knows she cannot stop him, but she is determined to let him know her contempt for him and all his kind ") absolutely took my breath away. It amazes me that Ritter never won an Oscar for her film work, though she was nominated 6 times.

And Jean Peters, truly phenomenal film eye candy - and her performance is spot on. Absolutely spot on.



Again, if you ever have the chance to watch this film, take it. And, if you happen to have a netflix account, or know someone who does, you can stream this on your computer. I have the ability to connect my laptop to my television, which is an extra treat, but this film is so flawless that it can, and should, be savored at any size.

1 comment:

superbadfriend said...

HAPPY 3-year ANNIVERSARY!

:-)

xoxoxoxo