Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Sandy...



It's self-portrait Tuesday - though I'm not much in the mood for it. The mother of one of my dearest friends died last night after battling a very long illness. She was my friend as well.
Her son and I have been close since we first met as young children in 1970. She died much too young and the world will be a darker place without her illuminating spirit in it.
Around 9:15 PM EST last night, I had the strongest urge to call my friend and check in with him and to see what the status of his mother was as we hadn't been able to touch base in a couple of weeks. He has worked tirelessly and on his own during her entire illness as her caregiver. He didn't answer, but I left a message to that regard.
He called me two hours later to tell me that at the moment that his phone was ringing with my call, he was holding her hand as she released her final breaths. He told me that he knew that she and I had a special connection and that she had always loved me as one of her own.
I love you Sandy. You will be sorely missed.



Always,
Michael

No comments: