Saturday, December 23, 2006

The morning of the night before the night before Christmas

It's about 6:30 AM. About 15 minutes ago I opened the back door to drop an empty can into my recycling bin and was hit by what felt like a warm rain scented breeze. After checking on my trusty MacBook Pro weather widget, I found that it is indeed 61 degrees here in NJ at 6:30 AM on the morning of December 23. Hmmm...

Two nights ago I was in my studio when I heard a cacophony of sirens moving down my street. It was loud enough that it made me go to the porch to see how much of my town was engulfed in flames. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised by the sight if Santa riding on top of a immensely bright fire truck. The truck had been completely covered in red and white lights. There were several smaller trucks leading the pack and an even smaller truck behind blasting Christmas music all about Santa coming to town and all of that jazz.



I happened to catch a few seconds of it with my cellphone (which explains the funky quality). It was actually a very fun thing to witness and the kids on the block went wild. It seems that they do this each night, weather permitting, the week before Christmas - driving up and down each street in town. I'm telling you a night it's like a little unexpected parade, and I must admit, it made me feel like an excited kid again myself for a few seconds which is something that all "adults" need every now and then, no?



One of the things on my to do list for the day is to bake Christmas cookies. This, of course, will occur after my power walk.

No comments: