Wednesday, December 27, 2006

In Memoriam...

It's Wednesday morning, Dec. 27, 2006. I stayed away from the blog for a few days whilst doing the ho ho ho thing. My last entry that I made to my blog was on the morning of December 23. Later that afternoon, I was informed about the death of my friend Jim Connaughton.

It wasn't entirely unexpected as we had known that he had suffered a massive heart attack a few days earlier while he was vacationing in London. Complications from the attack caused him to slip into a comma, and for the sake of skipping over quite a bit of medical terminology, it is easier to simply say that he didn't recover. While still in a coma however, arrangements were made which enabled him to return back to the beach before his death. That is something that he would have wanted. Jim' birthday (I believe his 66th) would have been on New Year's Eve. I believe that there will be a celebration of sorts to honor his memory, what would have been his birthday, and to ring in the new year.

Jim loved to entertain and to be entertained. He lived lavishly and lived well. I remember on his birthday two years ago during a conversation between us where he told me that he felt that he was living on "borrowed time". There was a tremendous history of heart disease in his family and he had outlived all of his immediate male relatives with the exception of a younger brother. He seemed quite acceptant of that knowledge, even content. He certainly lived life with gusto, following his heart, and making the most of each moment. He was one of the most generous and giving persons that I have ever met and was always the gentleman. He simply liked "nice" people. It seemed to be his own personal litmus test. If a person was nice, he or she would soon become a friend. Fortunately, Jim had many nice people in his life and many, many, friends. He was particularly gracious with his close friends of which I was honored to be one. He was a good man, a loved man, and he will be missed.
Here's to you Jim.

In Memoriam...
Dr. James Connaughton
December 31, 1940 – December 23, 2006


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. I will be thinking of him on New Year's Eve.