Monday, July 02, 2007

Wonderful weekend...

What a truly lovely weekend I have had. The trip to DC was wonderfully successful on several levels. We had a great time enjoying the company of L. and D. and the photo shoot went very well for the digital portrait went very well. Though, after taking the photos (which were of L. posing in her hat collection - a fabulous collection that she had created over many years, each with special meaning), I mentioned the idea of self-publishing a coffee table book of the images along with the individual story of each hat. She and D. loved the idea. So as of now, the initial idea of creating a digital portrait has evolved into the creation of a coffee table book which I will design and which will incorporate my digital photographs of Lynn wearing select hats from her collection accompanied by a bit of descriptive prose for each image.

After the photo shoot, we enjoyed a scrumptious dinner accented with lots of cocktails much laughter.

George and I awoke very early Sunday morning and had coffee with the sunrise on the patio which overlooks L’s massive and beautiful backyard bordered by her stunning gardens. The air was crystalline and cool with absolutely clear azure skies above. We were amazed that such a morning could occur on July 1st ( it was actually a bit chilly), but there it was nevertheless. It became one of those sensations where you realized that what you were experiencing weather-wise was a short lived special treat that would more than likely not reappear again until the middle of Autumn at the earliest. We sat silently with our warm cups of coffee (the aroma of which had mingled with the sweetened scents of countless different flowers that had gently wafted into the crisp early morning breeze) and listened to the sounds of the waking day.

After L & D woke we enjoyed a casual breakfast before returning to the Delaware shore. During the ride, I finished reading this -



This was a real “hard to put down” page-turner for me. Of course, I’m a history buff and after having lived for so many years in DC, I was always quite compelled by the Lincoln assassination. Our gallery was also only a couple of blocks from the Ford’s theater as well as Mary Surrat’s boarding house. It’s really a fascinating, and true, read.

Right about the time that I was finished, we were pulling into Elmer’s Produce outside of Bridgeville, Delaware.



Elmer's has been there for countless years and they offer massive amounts of fresh, local produce, plants and more. It's one of our favorite stops along the way...



The other thing that they offer, as stated in their sign seen in the image above, is a “gift shop”. It is also very large and offers a huge amount of “intriguing” things, that some, may indeed, consider worthy of gift giving. Here’s one in particular that stood out.



It was a painted ceramic creation that featured 3 different yet extremely similar figures of Jesus sitting together on a throne. I believe it was called the trinity or something to that effect. The first words that came into my mind when I saw the works was, “Will the real Jesus please stand up?”



I also must admit how taken aback I was when I realized that the one Jesus figure with the dove bore an uncanny resemblance to a neo-hippy friend of mine from the way back machine whom turned me onto many new things - ahem, and I - he.

I also couldn’t get over how the large yellow adornments over the three amigos heads so strongly looked like these peculiar pieces of headgear popular amongst Green Bay Packer fans...



Perhaps the ceramic trio would make the perfect gift for any devout Christian who also happens to be a Green Bay Packer fan.

No comments: