Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Damn those crazy dreams.....

Journal Page 3
The above image is a detail of a pen and ink image found on page 3 of my Visual Journal. Click it to see the entire image.

But that isn't the point of this post. This is about dreams. In particular,those freakin' dreams that wake you up screaming in the middle of the night.


If you've had them, then you know what I'm talking about. If not, then consider yourself lucky.

Think of the one horror flick that you have seen that frightened you beyond belief. Now, take that same film, multiply the fear and horror by about 20 and cast yourself in the lead. What fun! That's what they are like.

I usually only remember the dream that comes right before the scene that wakes me up screaming vaguely, but the scene itself is totally vivid, in complete brilliant color. They don’t happen as often as they used to, but they still occur on occasion.

So, the scene from last night goes like this. I’m in my old bedroom (circa 20 something years ago) in the house that I grew up in. I’m just hanging out in bed daydreaming. Suddenly, my younger brother and an unidentifiable friend of his come rushing in the room. They have very stern and serious expressions on their faces. I of course ask them what’s wrong.

“We have proof now” they say, now their expressions have changed into, lets say, someone who happened to accidentally stumble into little Regan’s bedroom during a moment of possession and levitation.

(Oh…I’m sorry - I thought this was the bathroom…)
So, he whips out a digital camera and takes my photo, spins it around to show me the image and says “See” - very ominously.

Of course, in the photo is myself on the bed, and about 5 inches behind me is the contorted face of some ghoulish demon man straight from hell ready to suck out my soul as some sort of macabre appetizer before the goat sacrifice. What fun!

Aieeeee!!!!!

Quick - Wake up screaming!!!! Wake up screaming!!!!

I don’t know why I had such a dream and I don’t want to know. I do know that I’ve had about what seems to be 45 minutes of sleep and 8,000 things to do today. Alas. What is the lesson here: Hmmm… the next time your brother wants to take a quick snapshot of you with the digital cam - just say no.

You’ll sleep better.

No comments: