Thursday, June 05, 2008

Auntie Em, Auntie Em

Thursday morning. June 5th. I have a busy next few days ahead of me, but I would rather not focus on all of that work. I'll deal with it as I deal with it. It will be what it will be. Que Sera Sera. Whatever will be, will be.

See, how "The Power of Now" that is? Though, it of course it sounds much more like this instead...



You know, it's rather difficult to find an image of Doris Day that isn't steeped in cheesecake. That's why my favorite image still is this one.



Self-admittedly, I created this one myself in Photoshop about 2 years ago, but I still love it. It's based on a screen shot from her 1955 film "Love Me or Leave Me". I love this image. It's raw, sexy, and dripping in that mid 50's noir look and feel, though the film isn't known as a noir work.

One of the highlights of yesterday was my visit with my friend Jeff West. He recently opened his new home furnishings store "Jeff West Home" in Rehoboth Beach. We've been friends for several years and he truly has an amazing gift for interior design. Mentioned on his website is this "his homes have been featured in The Washington Post, Coastal Living, Cottage Style, Chesapeake Life, Delaware Beach Life and Cape Gazette". It's true of course and his new shop reflects that style sensibility perfectly.

Late yesterday afternoon and early evening was the time for severe thunderstorms and tornado watches. George and I watched the first line move through on the front porch where we were saturated by waves of howling wind and intense rain until the continuous lightening and deafening thunder helped hasten the decision to move back into the house.

The tornado watch lasted until 1:00 AM in the morning and as I was falling to sleep around 11ish, I had a strange sensation that I hadn't had since I was a child back in Kentucky. Often, in the Spring and Summer, we would be under tornado watches. While most of them occurred during the day, sometimes that would stretch through the night. I remember laying in bed listening to the thunder and watching the sky light up with blue and purple wondering what would happen if a tornado hit in the middle of the night when we were all asleep.

As the passage of time would have it, I had forgotten completely about that thought until last night as I was quietly watching the storm from my bed. I remember thinking that if such an event did occur, that we would obviously deal with it then.

I made sure that a pair of slip on shoes were next to my bed just in case...

No comments: