Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Edison, the Cat, and The Rifleman


The above image was taken this morning as I watched the sun rise over my coffee. Maxi the cat was interested in the morning sun as well. She is perched in her favorite spot on top of the Antique Edison Disc Phonograph. It was purchased new by George's grandparents in 1915 shortly after they married. Sometimes, when the mood hits, we crank it up and play some of the many old records that are still located in the drawers that are held within.

When you listen to them in connection to (and you are surrounded by) the early 20th century furnishings and design of our house - it's like going back in time. Anyone that knows me well, knows that I have always been enchanted by that time period (the teens, the 1920s and 1930s)- certainly my art is inspired by it.

Interestingly enough, if any of you happen to remember the television show "
The Rifleman"


(as seen above in the oddly suggestive yet somewhat disturbing imagery)

You may be interested to know that Johnny Crawford (who played Chuck Conner's character's son Mark on the program) is now a successful crooner specializing in music inspired by movies and recordings from the first half of the 20th century, especially from the 1920s and 1930s. He has a phenomenal myspace page and a rather amazing life story if I do say so myself. Now, I'm off to enjoy what appears to be the first sunny and warmer day that we have had here in quite some time.

No comments: