Thursday, January 26, 2012

One bad apple…


If you blissfully stroll through the the brand driven, ad agency carefully crafted, glistening, candy-coated Apple dreamscape of an exalted place of refined air far above the hellish nether-world of jaw-dropping labor abuses in Chinese sweat shops, it's time for your wake up call.

applefly

Yesterday’s Business Section of the New York Times, featured a scathing and comprehensive article titled, “In China, Human Costs Are Built Into an iPad”. It does a fine job of describing just how much blood, sweat, and tears (literally) goes into the shiny new iPhones and iPads that have driven Apple sales into new realms of success.

Make no mistake, I’m no fan of China. In my opinion, they are simply wrong on every level whether it be citizen oppression or social injustice, wildly flagrant environmental damage, over population and a strict unyielding compliance to an outdated, failed, political system steeped in dysfunction. I could go on, but my point is made.

Regardless of my personal feelings however, I understand that when all the layers of psychological, religious, social and personal identification are gone, people are people.

And a human being deserves better than what is reported in the article.

I’m curious now as to what steps Apple will take, if any, to repair this ugly situation.

1 comment:

Jessica Towery, Licensed Acupuncturist, NYC said...

I suppose this is why Apple is the most profitable company in the nation, if not the world. now I feel ashamed to own and IPad :/